Linux Systems Administrator
Company: Vistex, Inc
Location: Hoffman Estates
Posted on: September 9, 2018
About Vistex: Vistex, Inc. is an SAP software solutions extensions partner serving businesses of all sizes worldwide across a spectrum of industries by managing their master data, contracts, pricing, rebates and incentive programs. Our solutions provide unprecedented visibility into the breadth and depth of go-to-market programs and enable businesses with insightful information that drive revenue, control costs and increase margins. Our deep industry expertise coupled with in-house implementation, delivery and training services makes Vistex a full solutions resource and consultancy. Headquartered in Hoffman Estates, IL, and with locations around the world, Vistex is searching for dynamic, enthusiastic team members to contribute to the long term success of both Vistex and our clients! Overview:The Systems Administrator is responsible for effective installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware and software and related infrastructure. System administrator tasks will be focused on improving the stability and performance of systems, maintaining and improving the security posture of systems, continuous monitoring of system health, and troubleshooting issues that arise. This individual is accountable for Linux, Windows, and application systems that support infrastructure and research and development (R&D). Responsibilities on these systems include engineering, operations and support, maintenance and research, and development to ensure continual operation. Candidate should have a minimum of 5 year's experience administering LINUX systems. Virtual systems (VMWare) and SAP experience a plus. This position will report to the Network Operations Manager. Responsibilities: Engineering
- Engineering of systems administration-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems which support infrastructure and/or R&D activities.
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Contribute to and maintain security posture of the systems in accordance with Vistex security policies
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible, automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage resources. Operations and Support
- Install and maintain security patches on the operational and development system, which includes but is not limited to, Red Hat and SUSE Linux, Windows, JBoss, VMWare, PostGreSQL, and Apache web services.
- Report Security Patch compliance.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request as necessary.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies. Maintenance
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools, templates, and utilities. Configure/add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, disk partitions, and add-on tools as required. Qualifications:
- Computer Science or Information Technology Degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- LINUX Systems Administration experience - 5 plus years
- Knowledge of VMWare virtualization
- Knowledge of database administration
- Knowledge of system disaster recovery process
- Good interpersonal, oral communication, and written communication skills
- Experienced with Windows based applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Thorough understanding of System Administration and development lifecycle
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience with Application Virtualization and Public Cloud administration a big plus Essential Job Skills:
- LINUX Systems Administration
- Ability to take general direction and "fill in the pieces" as necessary
- Strong initiative, self-reliance, and ability to cope with and overcome ambiguity
- Logical and detail oriented thinking
- Innovative problem solving & analysis
- Team player with a positive and encouraging demeanor
- Ability to thrive in a small business atmosphere
- Ability to participate across various teams, cultures, geographies and time zones
- Ability to work outside normal business hours without prior notice in response to high priority issue
- Ability to quickly switch focus
- Innovative problem solving & analysis - provided by Dice Linux System Administration, Linux OS, VmWare, Active Directory, LDAP, Maintenance, security, implementation, operations, support, Cloud, Virtualization
Keywords: Vistex, Inc, Hoffman Estates , Linux Systems Administrator, IT / Software / Systems , Hoffman Estates, Illinois
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!